Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Hopeless

Introduction:
For the past few weeks I've been mesmerized by Collen Hover's novel "hopeless". It is basically a perfect love story put down on paper, that is probably because of it's imperfection.

Characters:
Dean Holder, with his temper problem but his perfect view of "first" keeps me wondering what it is that will happen next.
Sky, narrator, main character.
Six, is sky's best friend for the past 6 or 7 years but leaves at the beginning of the story to attend a semester long exchange program, but will probably make another appearance towards the end.
Kareen, has been raising sky since she was 5.
Berckin, sky's new " best friend in the whole entire world" who is actually homosexual.
Max, Berckin's new boy friend.

Attention grabbers:
- "hopeless" in a whole started out in a major hook. Sky is going through what seems to be a MAJOR breakdown.
 " I grab the pillows off the bed and chuck them at the reflection in the mirror of the girl I no longer know. I watch as the girl in the mirror stares back at me, sobbing pathetically The weakness in her tears infuriates me. We begin to run toward each other until our fists collide against the glass, smashing the mirror. I watch as she falls into a million shiny pieces onto the carpet."
Something seems to have go terribly wrong, and all I want to do is keep reading to find out what it is that happened to cause her such frustration. And the fact that the very last words spoken, or written of the chapter is "Sky you need to leave." by holder. Leave? Leave where? Why?
Simple confusion, but the good kind that hypnotizes you.

- After a while of reading about Holder's and Sky's relationship, they were basically mapped out in my head, and what happened on pages 309-310 totally shocked me. "What happens next isn’t what I’m expecting to happen at all. He reaches across the seat and pulls me tightly against him and begins to shake uncontrollably. His shoulders are trembling and he’s squeezing me, burying his head in my neck.
He’s crying"
No, but that must of have been one of the most unpredictable things ever! But the weakness that present during that time made him *that* much more attractive.

- Dean's theory: the amount of first 2 people can have together is extremely limited, so there is no need to be in a rush. Actually, the slower you take the relationship the more importance each moment with each other will me.

- could you imagine thinking you're sending this to your best but actually sending it to your  boy friend? What about sending this text:

No, we haven’t had sex yet. We’ve done almost everything else, though, so I’m sure his patience will wear out soon. Ask me again after tomorrow night, I might have a different answer. Miss you more.

But Holder had the most perfect reaction by telling her that no matter where, when, or how their first time together would be perfect no matter what.


Favorite part so far:
"His gaze drops to my hand. He flips it over and slides my sleeve up, then twists my wrist back and forth.
“Where’d you get that?” he says, looking down at my wrist.
I look down to see what he’s referring to and realize I’m still wearing the bracelet I put on this morning. He looks back up at me and I shrug. I’m not really in the mood to explain it. It’s complicated and he’ll ask questions and lunch is almost over.
“Where’d you get it?” he says again, this time a little more demanding. His grip tightens around my wrist and he’s staring at me coldly, expecting an explanation. I pull my wrist away, not liking where this is going.
“You think I got it from a guy?” I ask, puzzled by his reaction. I hadn’t really pegged him for the jealous type, but this doesn’t really seem like jealousy. It seems like crazy.
He doesn’t answer my question. He keeps glaring at me like I’ve got some sort of huge confession that I’m refusing to reveal. I don’t know what he expects, but his attitude right now is more than likely going to end up with him getting slapped, rather than with me giving an explanation.
Breckin shifts uncomfortably in his seat and clears his throat. “Holder. Ease up, man.”
Holder’s expression doesn’t change. If anything, it grows even colder. He leans forward a few inches and lowers his voice when he speaks. “Who gave you the damn bracelet, Sky?”
His words transform into an unbearable weight in my chest and all the same warning signs that flashed in my head when I first met him are flashing again, only this time they’re in big neon letters. I know my mouth is agape and my eyes are wide, but I’m relieved that hope isn’t a tangible thing, because everyone around me would see mine crumbling.
He closes his eyes and faces forward, setting his elbows on the table. His palms press against his forehead and he inhales a long, deep breath. I’m not sure if the breath is more for a calming affect, or a distraction to keep him from yelling. He runs his hand through his hair and grips the back of his neck.
“Shit!” he says. His voice is harsh and it causes me to flinch. He stands up and walks away unexpectedly, leaving his tray on the table. My eyes follow him as he continues across the cafeteria without once looking back at me. He slaps the cafeteria doors with both palms and disappears through them. I don’t even blink or breathe again until the doors finish swinging, coming to a complete standstill." (236-237)

This probably shouldn't even be close to one of my favorite parts, but like I said before.... The imperfection of this "love" story is what makes it so perfect to me. The fights, the arguments, and the truth and honest behind this fairytale is what makes it so believable.

3 comments:

  1. if its a perfect love story, why is it called hopeless? just asking

    ReplyDelete
  2. check out the "Hopeless 2.0" and you will understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes everything so much easier to understand. It seems sad though...

    ReplyDelete